Our Communications Centre is operates 24/7, and is the perfect environment for the fast-paced multi-tasker!
Below are the minimum qualifications needed for one of these exciting positions:
The Ideal Candidate
- Displays honesty, integrity and ethical conduct at all times
- Is committed to professionalism and excellence in customer service
- Reacts quickly, logically, efficiently, and calmly in emergency situations
- Displays prioritizing and multi-tasking skills in an emergency
- Exhibits excellent oral and written communication skills
- Remains flexible and adaptable in an ever changing work environment
Education and Experience
- Grade 12 Diploma, supplemented by some courses in public safety, emergency communications or criminology
- Experience working or volunteering in an emergency services environment is an asset
- Excellent computer skills with a typing speed of 60 WPM
- Paid training, which includes weekly tests, final exams and ongoing assessments. Training will be approximately 3 to 6 months.
What We Offer the Successful Candidate
- The wage for this position is $30.76 per hour as of January 2016.
- Benefits for all Auxiliary, Temporary and Regular Full Time Employees include:
- Physical training facilities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Workers Compensation
- Paid training opportunities
- Additional Benefits for Regular Full-Time Employees include.
- Continuing education subsidies
- Dental and Vision Care Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Basic and Extended Health Plan
- Same-sex Basic and Extended Health Plan benefits
- Maternity and parental leave
Career Opportunities are Available
- Communication Centre Specialist (Police Dispatcher)
- Coaching and mentoring new staff
- Acting Communication Centre Supervisor
- Communication Centre Supervisor
Shift patterns: We are a 24/7, 365 day operations, therefore shifts include nights, weekends, and statutory holidays including Christmas, New Year's Eve, Halloween and special events. Work rotations will vary and shifts will be 8 to 12 hours in length. Shift schedules are provided eight weeks in advance for auxiliary staff.
Employee Group: CUPE, Local 50
All candidates must first apply to our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stage 1 – Panel Interview
The format of the interview consists of behavioral and situational questions and will last approximately 30-60 minutes and may be conducted in person or over the telephone if you are out of town.
Stage 2 - Testing
A CritiCall test will be performed taking approximately 60 minutes.
This computer based test assesses your skills and abilities in the following areas:
- Data entry and keyboarding
- Call summarization
- Decision making
- Cross referencing
- Memory recall
Stage 3 - Security Clearance
As a condition of employment, candidates must pass a security clearance which involves an in-depth lifestyle questionnaire and polygraph examination. The background checks will be performed to assist and determine suitability, reliability and security of the applicant being considered for employment with VicPD. This process is facilitated by the Victoria Police Department and you will be provided with forms to complete.
Stage 4 – References
A minimum of two (2) to three (3) employment references are required.
Stage 5 - Employment Offer
The successful candidate will be presented with an employment offer letter outlining terms and conditions and training schedule once you successfully complete the recruiting process.