JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Internal / External
This is a CUPE LOCAL 50 position
DATE OF ISSUE: January 8/2018 CLOSING DATE: January 22/2018
Competition Number: P1-18
Position Title: Coordinator, Volunteer Services
Number of Positions: One
Duration: Regular full-time
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 35 hrs/week
Pay Group: $37.44/hour (pay grade 13)
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST be received by 4:30 p.m. on the above closing date and must be complete, including all qualifications and experience relevant to this position. Please quote the competition number on your submission.
To apply please forward your submission electronically to: email@example.com.
Department / Division / Section:
- Police / Community Engagement Division / Volunteer Services
- Coordination and administration of all Victoria Police Department volunteer services.
- Coordinate the development, delivery and management of the Victoria Police Department volunteer programs and other related volunteer engagement opportunities, projects and programs.
- Recruit, coordinate, train and supervise approximately 100 police volunteers; provide or facilitate individual and group training and assess progress; provide volunteer evaluations and guidance to volunteers to meet established work performance standards; plan and coordinate volunteer information sessions, recognition, motivation and appreciation events.
- Provide strategic input and direct change to policies, training and standards for volunteers to provide for operational readiness and safety, and ensure consistency with Department policies. Participate in the development of strategic plans, long-term vision and framework for the volunteer program. Directs the development and delivery of crime prevention educational and special projects.
- Work together with the Director of Community Engagement and the Community Resource Officer of the Reserve Program to coordinate reserve constable participation in crime prevention programs, and other mutually beneficial projects.
- Oversee daily scheduling/shifting and maintains a variety of manual and computerized records; assists in preparing the Volunteer Services budget and monitors expenditures.
- Respond to inquiries from public and outside agencies/stakeholders regarding programs and events. Coordinate and conduct related research to prepare reports, and make recommendations; and prepare a variety of correspondence and statistics.
- Prepare and manage contracts relating to the Volunteer Programs and develop reports and briefing material to ensure timely information is provided to the Senior Command Team and the Police Board.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external stakeholders and assist with the development and delivery of public safety awareness, education and prevention projects/programs and liaise with staff and outside stakeholders as required.
- Perform related duties where required and qualified.
- Work is generated by annual strategic priorities and in response to operational priorities and community crime prevention needs.
- Issues such as annual goals, budget items and policy development are discussed with and work is reviewed by the supervisor, the Director of Community Engagement.
- Sit with arms unsupported while keyboarding (often).
- Lift and move medium weight equipment (occasionally).
- Focus on a variety of source data and VDT for short periods (often).
- Community Events.
- May be requested to work irregular hours (premium item).
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Proven management and supervisory skills, as they relate to volunteer management.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to deal with sensitive issues and resolve conflict.
- Ability to work independently, display initiative and exercise good judgement.
- Ability to meet deadlines by prioritizing work effectively and efficiently.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated professional attitude and demeanour at all times.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive matters and exercise judgment and discretion at all times.
Formal Education, Training and Occupational Certification:
- 2 years post-secondary education, technical diploma or university degree in training, education, communications or program management and related experience with volunteer programs; or community-based education.
- Project Management and Volunteer Management Certificate courses and/or experience.
- 3 years of experience organizing and coordinating volunteer organizations and managing training or education programs; or secondary school diploma with extensive experience in organizing and coordinating volunteer organizations and managing training or education programs. Experience in developing and delivering training and education programs.
- Public safety experience is desirable or an equivalent combination of the above listed education and experience.
- Required to obtain security and criminal record clearance.
- Required to sign attestation of confidentiality.
- May be requested to substitute in a more senior position.
Job Description: 4157 – “under review”