Terms & Conditions
The Victoria Police Department cautions against using the data provided to make decisions or comparisons about the safety of any particular area. Members of the community are encouraged to continue partnering and problem-solving with the Department to support community and police department goals and objectives.
When reviewing the data the following factors should be considered:
- For both technical reasons and the need to protect certain types of police information, the number of incidents identified within the geographic system may not accurately reflect the total number of incidents for the area.
- The data does not include all offences identified within the Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics.
- Incident addresses in the data have been generalized to the hundred block level to prevent the disclosure of actual incident location and addresses.
- The data will sometimes indicate where an incident was reported or used as a reference point and not where the incident actually occurred. Certain incidents result in a “default address” of the Victoria Police Department (850 Caledonia Avenue), which does not necessarily reflect incidents actually occurring at that location.
- The data is intended for review and discussion as part of coordinated crime prevention initiatives to support and improve community awareness and safety.
- The data can be used to measure general changes in the level and types of incidents when comparing different time periods to the same geographic area, however, data users are discouraged from performing comparative analysis between different areas of the city based solely on this data - areas vary in size, population and density, making such comparisons difficult.
- The data is considered preliminary incident data and does not represent statistics submitted to the Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics. The data is subject to change for a variety of reasons, including late reporting, reclassification of incidents based on offense types or subsequent investigation, and errors.
The Victoria Police Department makes no representations, warranties or guarantees of any kind, express or implied, as to the content, sequence, accuracy, reliability, timeliness or completeness of any of the information or data provided herein. Data users should not rely on the information or data provided herein for comparison purposes over time, or for any other reason. Any reliance the user places on such information or data is therefore strictly at the user’s own risk. The Victoria Police Department explicitly disclaims any representations or warranties, including, without limitation, the implied warranties of merchantability, quality, or fitness for a particular purpose.
The Victoria Police Department does not assume and is not responsible for any liability whatsoever for any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in the data and information provided, regardless of how caused. Furthermore, in no event will the Victoria Police Department be liable for any loss or damage, including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the direct or indirect use of these pages. The Victoria Police Department will not be responsible for the direct or indirect use of, or the results obtained from the direct or indirect use of this information or data. The Victoria Police Department shall assume no liability for any decisions made or actions taken or not taken by the user of the website in reliance upon any information or data furnished hereunder. Any use of the information or data for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.