Please note that these are basic qualifications only. Many of our candidates exceed these.
- Minimum age 19 years
- No criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted
- Valid Basic First Aid Certificate and CPR
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (minimum 2 years)
- Visual acuity
- (i) Must have unaided vision of not less than 20/40 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye;
- (ii) Vision should be correctable with approved vision aide to a minimum 20/20 both eyes open with no one eye poorer than 20/30;
- (iii) Colour vision must pass the Ishihara test;
Note:Applicants having corrective laser surgery must wait three months post surgery before applying.
Hearing requirements: Must have no greater loss than 30 db in both ears in the 500-3000 Hz range
- High school graduation or equivalent (Transcripts MUST be an official stamped copy that is forwarded to the Victoria Police Recruiting Section directly from the high school in which the applicant attended or the Ministry of Education, in a sealed envelope) If transcripts are recieved in any other manner, they will not be accepted. Should an applicant possess any post-secondary education, transcripts must be forwarded in the same manner – (two years post secondary preferred)
- Valid Drivers Licence (must be at least a class 5).
- Computer skills and demonstrated keyboarding ability required
- Demonstrated fit and healthy lifestyle Meet the medical requirements of the Victoria Police Department
- Demonstrated commitment to the community through volunteer experience
- Maturity derived from varied life experience
- Demonstrated responsibility, initiative, creativity and problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrated sensitivity to people whose culture, lifestyle or ethnicity is different than your own
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to successfully undergo an extensive background investigation involving workplace, personal, financial and neighborhood enquiries
The Victoria Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in the workplace