Volunteer Program Overview
The overall goals of the volunteer program are to support the Victoria Police Department’s crime prevention activities, and to be of assistance to the public in the City of Victoria and Township of Esquimalt.
The volunteer roster is extensive and includes individuals of all ages and diversified backgrounds. Some are students, office workers and retirees who are looking for a stimulating volunteer opportunity. Others are considering a career in law enforcement and want to gain invaluable experience.
CRIME WATCH PROGRAM
Working in teams, volunteers patrol selected areas and report suspicious activity to the police. In addition, volunteers participate in crime reduction activities and special initiatives.
FRONT DESK PROGRAM
Front Desk volunteers greet the public, answer general enquiries, assist with the in-take of police information checks, and support the Front Desk Officer as required.
SPECIAL PROJECTS & EVENTS
All volunteers have the opportunity to participate at special events and with special projects. In addition, volunteers may take on a leadership role as program leaders or project assistants.
Why volunteer with the VicPD?
Joining our team has many benefits, including:
- Making an important contribution to your community
- Tackling new challenges
- Improving your communication, organizational, and team building skills
- Meeting interesting new people
- Enhancing your resume
What qualifications do I need to apply?
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be 19 years of age or older
- Good verbal and written skills
- Proven ability to work in a team environment
- Able to commit to a regular shift, minimum three hours per week
- Able to commit to a minimum term of six months
- Must be willing to submit to all necessary security screening, including a Police Information Check
Interested in Volunteering?
The first step in the application process is to pick up a volunteer package at the Victoria Police Department Headquarters, 850 Caledonia Avenue. Once the application is completed, return it in person. Bring 2 pieces of official ID, including one with a photo, to be photocopied by the Front Desk Volunteer or Officer, and added to your package. Once we review your application, we will contact you regarding the next steps.
Get Involved – Apply Now!
For further information, please contact the Coordinator, Volunteers Services