Monday, December 17, 2018

Victoria BC – Patrol officers, as well as officers from the Investigative Services Division, Community Engagement Division, and Forensic Identification Section were kept busy this past weekend throughout Victoria and Esquimalt. VicPD received 411 calls for service from Friday night until this morning. Excluding the Johnson Street Bridge file and the Sexual Assault Investigation, here are some other notable calls:


Friday, 8:00 p.m. (18-56458)


Officers were called to the 900-block of Pandora Ave after several intoxicated men were causing problems. When police officers arrived, they began speaking with one of the men. When they advised that he was under arrest, he became resistant. While the officers were attempting to safely place the man in custody, they were surrounded by several verbally aggressive bystanders. One officer had to disengage from the man they were trying to arrest and begin trying to control the angry crowd. Additional officers were requested. One officer suffered minor, non-life threatening injuries and was treated at the scene and able to return to work.


Saturday, 2:30 p.m. (18-56569)


Officers were on routine patrol when they observed a cyclist who was unsteady on his bike. The cyclist then made a sudden left turn and then fell over directly in front of the police vehicle. Officers noted that the man was in medical distress. Two bystanders immediately began life saving measures including CPR until the Emergency Health Services arrived. The man was transported to hospital where he remains.


Sunday, 1:40 a.m. (18-56674)


Officers assigned to the Late Night Task Force were notified by security staff at a local nightclub that a patron had a handgun in his waistband. Officers approached the man who immediately began to struggle. During the arrest, the man was reaching into his waistband for the handgun. After the man was safely taken into custody, it was determine that it was not a real firearm.  One officer was transported to hospital with minor, non-life threatening injuries. He was treated and released. Another officer suffered minor non-life threatening injuries. The man was transported to VicPD HQ and released on a Promise to Appear with conditions. Our investigation is ongoing.




Monday, 1:25 a.m. (18-56828)


Officers were called after somebody heard breaking glass and saw a man leaving a business in the 1100 block of Blanshard Avenue carrying two guitars. Several officers attended and determined that somebody had broken into a business. The suspect, described as five feet, two inches tall, slim build wearing a red hoodie and white jogging pants was not located. The value of the items taken were between $1400-3300.