Record Suspensions (formerly known as a Pardon) and Cannabis Record Suspensions

For the purpose of this document both Record Suspensions and Cannabis Record Suspensions may be referred to as Record Suspensions.

You do not need a lawyer or representative to apply for a record suspension. This will not accelerate the review of your application or convey a special status on it. The Parole Board of Canada treats all applications the same way. For step-by-step instructions on applying for a Record Suspension or Cannabis Record Suspension, consult the Record Suspension Application Guide or the Cannabis Record Suspension Application Guide. Should you choose to have a representative assist you with your record suspension application, please be advised you must ensure your application package includes a consent form (provided to you by your representative) allowing our office to communicate with, and return your documents to, your representative. As well, a contact phone number must be provided either for yourself, or a direct line to your representative (a general phone number leading to a phone tree will not be accepted).

There are a number of steps to the record suspension process. Please visit The Parole Board of Canada website in order to get started.

If you are eligible for a record suspension, you will need to obtain your Criminal Record from RCMP in Ottawa. This is done by submitting your fingerprints to RCMP in Ottawa, and they will in turn, provide you with a certified copy of your Criminal Record. You may also contact the Commissionaires at 250-727-7755 or their location at 928 Cloverdale Ave to assist you with the fingerprints.

The Record Suspension application requires you to complete a Local Police Information Check (the required form is available in the Application Guide, see the first (bold) paragraph above for a link to the guide). This is required in each jurisdiction you have resided in for the last 5 years. The Victoria Police Department processes Local Police Information Checks for addresses located within the City of Victoria and the Township of Esquimalt.

You must include the following in your Local Police Information Check package in order for us to process this for you:

  • $70 processing fee payable by
    • If you are mailing your package to either the Victoria or Esquimalt Police Departments, please include a money order or a bank draft made out to the City of Victoria. This is the only acceptable method of payment for applications received by mail. Please do not send cash in the mail. We do not accept personal cheques.
    • If you prefer to drop your package off in person at the Esquimalt Police Department you can include a money order or a bank draft made out to the City of Victoria or pay by cash in person during Esquimalt Police Department service hours.
    • If you prefer to drop your package off in person at the Victoria Police Department you can include a money order or a bank draft made out to the City of Victoria or pay by cash, debit, or credit card in person during Victoria Police Department service hours.
  • a clear (readable) photocopy of your Certified Criminal Record OR Certification of No Criminal Record from the RCMP in Ottawa.
  • a clear (readable) photocopy of 2 pieces of identification showing your current photo and birthdate. Please review our Identification Requirements.
  • a Local Police Records Check form (from the applicable Application Guide). You must fill out page 1 including Section C and the Applicant Information section at the top of page 2.
  • a contact phone number for the applicant.
  • If you choose to work with a lawyer or representative, consent allowing our office to communicate with the representative must be provided. We also require a direct phone number (this must be a direct line to the representative and not to a phone tree system).
  • Only the Local Police Records Check Form will be returned, all supporting documentation will NOT be returned. Please provide ONLY PHOTOCOPIES of supporting documentation. Do not provide original documents.

Your completed package can be mailed or dropped off at:

Attn: Freedom of Information Office
Victoria Police Department
850 Caledonia Avenue
Victoria BC  V8T 5J8
Attn: Freedom of Information Office
Victoria Police Department Esquimalt Division
1231 Esquimalt Rd.
Esquimalt BC V9A 3P1