There are three roles that form a VicPD Block Watch group; Captain, Participants, and the VicPD Block Watch Coordinator.
Participants are the people in a neighbourhood or complex who agree to be a part of a VicPD Block Watch group. The primary function of being a participant involves being alert to your surroundings and looking out for each other. When you see something suspicious or witness criminal activity you are asked to safely observe and report what you see to police, and share the information with your Block Watch group.
Here are some examples of how you can work together as a VicPD Block Watch participant:
- Have a shared interest in building community safety with your neighbours.
- Attend VicPD Block Watch presentations.
- Secure your home and personal property.
- Get to know your neighbours.
- Take a proactive approach to crime prevention.
- Watch out for each other and each other’s property.
- Report suspicious and criminal activity to police.
- Offer to assist your VicPD Block Watch Captain.
- Volunteer to start a neighbourhood project, event, or activity