Police Information Checks2023-08-08T11:13:42-08:00

Police Information Checks

If you require a police information check, we are accepting online applications. Please click on the “submit an electronic police information check” button. If you require fingerprinting that does not relate to a Victoria Police Department vulnerable sector, please see section below on non-vulnerable sector record checks. If you require our assistance in helping you work through the online submission or need further information or clarification, please call us at 250-995-7314.

The Victoria Police Department has partnered with Triton Canada to offer the residents of the City of Victoria and Township of Esquimalt the ability to apply and pay for your vulnerable sector police information check online. If you do not require fingerprints and would like to apply online click the submit button below. The fee is the same whether you apply in person or online. For more see the Non-vulnerable sector record checks section below.


  • $70 Employment related Police Information Checks (fingerprint fee of $25.00 is not included if they are required)
  • $50 Prints only (Ministry of Justice, Name Change, etc)
  • $25 RCMP fee for non-volunteer related prints

Documents required 

  • Volunteer letter from the organization confirming your volunteer position
  • Letter or description of the employment position related to the Vulnerable Sector Information Check

** You are not required to upload ID when applying online, your ID will be verified later in the process.

Two pieces of ID required if applying in person


  • Driver’s license (any province)
  • BC ID (or other province ID)
  • Passport (any country)
  • Citizenship Card
  • Military ID Card
  • Status Card


  • Birth Certificate
  • Health Care Card

Please note – Police Information Checks cannot be completed without proof of identity with photo ID

Non-vulnerable sector record checks

If you require a record check for a non-vulnerable sector employment or volunteer position please contact one of the following:



Corps of Commissionaires



Can anyone apply to Victoria Police Department for a Police Information Check?2019-10-10T13:18:00-08:00

No. We provide this service to residents of the City of Victoria and Township of Esquimalt only. If you reside in another municipality please attend your local police department.

May I submit my application by email of fax?2019-10-10T13:19:48-08:00

No. You must apply in person and present the required identification.

Do I need an appointment?2021-07-05T07:23:28-08:00

No appointment is necessary. No appointment is necessary if applying for a Police Information Check, however, appointments are required for fingerprints. The hours of operation are as follows:

Victoria Police Main Headquarters
Tuesday to Thursday 8:30am to 3:30pm
(please note the office is closed from noon to 1:00)

Fingerprinting Services are only available at VicPD and on Wednesday between
10:00 am to 3:30pm
(please note the office is closed from noon to 1:00 pm)

Esquimalt Division Office
Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm

How long are the Police Information Checks good for?2019-10-10T13:24:42-08:00

Victoria Police Department does not put an expiry date on these documents. The employer or volunteer agency must determine how old a record check can be that they will still accept.

Can someone else drop off my application or pickup the results?2019-10-10T13:25:08-08:00

No. You must attend in person for identification verification.

What if I currently reside outside of Canada?2019-10-10T13:25:34-08:00

This service is not being offered at this time.

Will the results of the check be mailed to the organization requesting it?2019-10-10T13:26:02-08:00

No. We release the results to the applicant only. It is your responsibility to pick up your check and provide it to the organization.

If I have a Criminal Record of Convictions will I get a print out of it with my Police Information Check?2020-03-06T07:15:30-08:00

No. If you have convictions you will be able to complete a self declaration of these when you apply for your Police Information Check. If you declaration is accurate and matches what we locate on our systems it will be verified. If it is inaccurate you will be required to submit fingerprints to RCMP Ottawa.

How do I obtain my fingerprints?2022-01-04T11:40:25-08:00

We conduct civil fingerprinting on Wednesdays only. Please attend the main Victoria Police Headquarters at 850 Caledonia Avenue any Wednesday between 10 am & 3:30 pm. Do note that the fingerprinting office is closed from 12 noon to 1 pm.

Civil Fingerprints are done on WEDNESDAYS ONLY, between the hours of 10 AM and 3:30 PM.  An appointment is required – call 250-995-7314 to book.

What is the current processing time for the Police Information Checks?2019-11-27T08:34:01-08:00

Normal processing for paid police checks is approximately 5-7 business days. There are circumstances however that may delay this process. Applicants with past residences outside BC can often expect longer delays.

Volunteer checks can take 2-4 weeks.

Is there a student rate for Police Information Checks?2019-10-10T13:28:01-08:00

No. You must pay the $70 fee. You may be able to submit the receipt with your income tax return if the check is a requirement for your schooling.

Additionally – practicum placements are not volunteer positions as you will receive education credits – you will need to pay to have your police record check done.

I previously had a Police Information Check, do I need to pay for another one?2019-10-10T13:28:33-08:00

Yes. Each time you are required to have one you will have to start the process again. We do not keep copies of previous checks.

How can I pay?2019-10-10T13:29:33-08:00

At our main headquarters we accept cash, debit, Visa and Mastercard. We do not accept personal cheques. At our Esquimalt Division office payment is cash only at this time.

I am a student with a temporary address in Victoria, can I get my check done here?2019-10-10T13:29:57-08:00

Yes. There may be delays in processing time however if we need to contact your home police agency and it is outside of BC.

Go to Top