File: 20-27227

Victoria, BC – We’ve seen social media reports of sexualized violence during tattoo appointments here in Victoria. We want everyone in those threads who have experienced sexualized violence to know that if you report what you’ve experienced to our Special Victims Unit detectives, you will be listened to, you will be treated with respect, and you will be believed.

Also know that you don’t have to report sexualized violence to police to have access to supports. You can report and get support through the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre, the Men’s Trauma Centre, an emergency room, your family doctor, a counsellor and many other means. Some of those resources are listed on this page on our website:

If you do think that you may want to consider a criminal process, it is important to know that for potential future court processes, it is best that you provide your statement to the police prior to speaking to any media outlets or posting details of your story publicly on social media. This is to ensure that your statement belongs to you and you only.

Our Special Victims Unit will be investigating each report. To speak to a detective please call our non emergency line at 250-995-7654 and select extension 1 for the report desk, and state that you would like to make a report. A police officer will take your initial information and arrange for a detective to get in touch with you in the following week or two. Your report can be for information only if you wish.

If you are unsure whether you would like to talk to the police, please reach out to us with any questions you may have, or reach out to the wonderful supports in our community like the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre, who can assist you with information and support.

The Victoria Sexual Assault Centre can be reached at (250) 383-3232.

The Men’s Trauma Centre can be reached at (250) 382-6367.