Date: Wednesday, July 21st, 2021
Victoria, BC – Officers are reminding members of the community who use cannabis products to safely store them after five children, all under the age of 10, were brought to hospital after accidentally ingesting unattended THC gummies on Friday.
Patrol officers were called to Victoria General Hospital on Friday, July 16th, after five children under the age of 10 were brought to hospital after accidentally ingesting THC gummies. Officers learned that the children were attending a barbecue, when parents noticed the children had began acting oddly. The parents questioned the children, who told them they had found candy while playing in a room and consumed it. The parents investigated and upon discovering the “candy” were THC gummies, immediately called 911.
The children were transported to hospital, where they were observed and released. No foul play is suspected.
Investigating officers located the gummies bag. The packaging closely resembles a popular gummy candy brand. Photographs of the package are below.
The use of cannabis products is permitted under provincial and federal law in Canada. However, given the close resemblance of some products to non-cannabis products, officers are urging those who use cannabis products to safely store them out of the reach of inquisitive children.
No charges are anticipated in this file.