Crime Reports Disclaimer
To further community awareness and improve accessibility to calls for police service occurring in the community, the Victoria Police Department has merged geographic information systems technology with police records management data to facilitate user-friendly public consumption through the Victoria Police internet website, www.vicpd.ca
The Victoria Police Department cautions against using records management data to make decisions or to make comparisons regarding the safety of a given area. When reviewing the data the following factors should be considered:
- The data represents only a portion of the records management system (RMS) call types. These call types are largely based on the information provided by members of the community to the Victoria Police Department.
- For both technical reasons and the need to protect certain types of police information, the number of incidents identified within the geographic system may not accurately reflect the total number of incidents for the area. All data visualization on a 100-block geographic system should be considered approximate and attempts to derive specific addresses are strictly prohibited. Incident addresses in the data have been generalized to the hundred block level to avoid the conveyance of actual incident location and addresses.
- This data can be reviewed and discussed as part of coordinated (crime) prevention initiatives to support and improve community awareness and safety. Members of the community are encouraged to continue partnering and problem solving with the Victoria Police Department to support police-community goals and objectives.
- The data can be used to measure changes in the level and types of incidents when comparing different time periods to the same geographic area.
- The data does not include all offences identified within the Canadian Center for Justice Statistics.
- The data will sometimes indicate where an incident was reported or used as a reference point versus where the incident occurred.
- Densely populated areas with a high volume of foot traffic may have more reported incidents. This does not necessarily mean that more crime occurs in the area.
- Unknown addresses of incidents may have a default address of the Victoria Police Department . This does not necessarily mean that more crime occurs in this area.
- The data includes incidents within the following categories:
- Incidents against Person: Robbery, Assault
- Incidents against Property: Break & Enter, Theft, Theft of Vehicle, Theft from Vehicle
- Other Incidents: Other, Weapons Offenses
- Incidents against Quality of Life: Disorder, Drugs, Liquor, Traffic
- Proactive Policing: Community Policing, Pedestrian Stop, Vehicle Stop
- The Victoria Police Department discourages data users from performing comparative analysis between different areas of the city based solely on the information provided by the records management data. This geographic information system does not provide a comparative analysis tool. Areas vary in size, population and density, making such comparisons difficult.
- This information is considered preliminary incident data and does not represent statistics submitted to the Canadian Center for Justice Statistics. The data is subject to change for a variety of reasons, including late reporting, reclassification of incidents based on offense types, and errors.
- The Victoria Police Department makes no representations, warranties or guarantees of any kind, express or implied, as to the content, sequence, accuracy, reliability, timeliness or completeness of any of the information or data provided herein. The user of the following pages should not rely on the information or data provided herein for comparison purposes over time, or for any other reason. Any reliance the user places on such information or data is therefore strictly at the user’s own risk. The Victoria Police Department explicitly disclaims any representations or warranties, including, without limitation, the implied warranties of merchantability, quality, or fitness for a particular purpose.
- For both technical reasons and the need to protect certain types of police information, the number of incidents identified within the geographic system may not accurately reflect the total number of incidents for the area. All data visualization on a 100-block geographic system should be considered approximate and attempts to derive specific addresses are strictly prohibited. Incident addresses in the data have been generalized to the hundred block level to avoid the conveyance of actual incident location and addresses. During any data range search a maximum limit of 500 records are displayed.
The Victoria Police Department does not assume and is not responsible for any liability whatsoever for any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in the data and information provided, regardless of how caused. Furthermore, in no event will the Victoria Police Department be liable for any loss or damage, including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the direct or indirect use of these pages. The Victoria Police Department will not be responsible for the direct or indirect use of, or the results obtained from the direct or indirect use of this information or data. The Victoria Police Department shall assume no liability for any decisions made or actions taken or not taken by the user of the website in reliance upon any information or data furnished hereunder. Any use of the information or data for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.