Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2021
Files: 21-376, 21-395, 21-397, 21-468, 21-489, 21-494, 21-504
Victoria, BC –Officers are warning business owners and sharing crime prevention tools as a series of break and enters to businesses continues.
For the past month, officers have been investigating what appears to be an ongoing series of business break and enters. In these break and enters, the suspect(s) use a sophisticated technique of removing the glass from doors and/or windows. This approach requires specialized tools and knowledge and, in some files, has been effective in defeating alarm systems.
In instances when the glass removal technique has failed, the thieves may resort to more brute force methods; smashing windows and prying doors.
The break and enters are predominantly occurring overnight when the businesses are unoccupied.
The largest cluster of reports is from Victoria’s downtown business community. There are nearly two dozen break and enters which may be part of this series.
There are key steps that you can take today which will help protect your business.
- Remove valuables from your business where possible when you close.
- If you cannot remove valuables or merchandise, move it out of view from all windows.
- Empty your cash drawer and leave it clearly displayed in a window.
- Review your surveillance system to ensure your system is working, is of useful resolution and captures all potential areas of entry.
- Review your alarm company contact information to ensure you’ll be contacted in the event an alarm is triggered.
- Report damaged windows and doors, even if entry isn’t made. You can report these online 24 hours a day through online reporting and through our VicPD Connect App.
- Download our VicPD Connect App for alerts and easy reporting of break and enter attempts.
- Talk with your business neighbours, ask if they’ve had damaged windows, doors or other break-in attempts and share this list with them.
Investigators are continuing to work on the series of break and enters. We will continue to update our community on developments in these ongoing investigations.
If you have information about these break and enters, please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.